6.29.2010

Small furry creatures.

I've been considering delving into the crazy world of sour beers.  The small fury creatures that eat away at your sweet wort are something that can turn a simple beer into a complex masterpiece.  I've heard that you have to be very careful as to not infect your entire brew house though, and not sure if I'm willing to take the risk.  I'm sure there are many homebrewers out there that have taken this step, and have never been able to brew a non-funky batch again due to contamination.  This dude, The Mad Fermentationist, is a  funky freak and lately it seems like I'm always on his blog.  I've noticed that he brews normal beers as well as sours, so maybe I'll  have to reach out to him and get some ideas on how to make this happen.

Here are a few types of bacteria strains used mainly by funky Belgian brewers...
Brettanomyces Lambicus
Brettanomyces Bruxellensis 
Brettanomyces Claussenii
Lactobacillus
Pediococcus 








Just thinking about this today reminded me of riding in my boy Kenny's car back in highschool...the surround sound effect when on high volume, supplemented with a little schwag was something to behold, and will change you just a little bit forever...just as the bugs to brew sour beers can change your brewhouse more then a little bit....forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...