4.23.2013

Flanders Red Ale | American Amber Ale | Funky Split batch




Yes Yes, I brewed another Flanders Red ale and this time I did 13 gallons.   5 gallons saw some ECY02 + Wyeast Roseleare.   5 Gallons saw some ECY02 and the White Labs Lambic blend.  The other 3 gallons was fermented clean with Cali V ale yeast!!!   Our red wine barrel need more beer in it to be completely full and for topping off so I gave 5 gallons of this beer to that.  The other 5 gallons I'll age long term in a better bottle carboy.  It should be a good comparison to the difference between barrel aging and carboy aging.    

For this recipe I decide I'd try and tackle the issue that many sour beers have in my mind, they are typically very thin and because of this, we blend in young beer at the time of bottling to give the beer the desired body.   This is an attempt to create a beer that doesn't need to be blended.  First I took and award winning Flanders Red recipe that one of my homebrew club members has won with, then I added a bunch of Caramunich (essentially crystal 60 malt.   Upon sampling, it definitely had a nice thick mouthfeel and I have high hopes for this.    

Batch Size: 13 gallons
Specific Gravity: 1.054 OG
Final Gravity: 1.005 FG
Color: 20° SRM    Light Brown to Medium Brown
Mash Efficiency:  83 %
Bitterness:  9.9 IBU
Alcohol:  6.5% ABV
Calories: 174 per 12 oz. 


Malt & Fermentables
%
LB
OZ
°L
PPG
27%
6
~

Mash

36
27%
6
~

Mash

34
13%
3
~

Mash
10°

34
13%
3
~

Mash
60°

34
7%
1
8

Mash
26°

36
4%
1
~

Mash

37
4%
1
~

Mash
220°

30
4%
1
~

Mash

34
22
8

Hops
Usage
Time
OZ
AA » IBU
boil
60 min
2
Hallertau ~ pellet
3.1 » 9.9

Yeast
ECY02 Flemish Ale
yeast in liquid form with low flocculation and 90% attenuation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...