7.26.2010

Libre's Libation Ale - Brewing the Everyday Monk Bier



Press Release: Dank Brewing brewhouse just doubled in size!   Now doing 10 gallon batch's...

Here is what went down.   I was on my way to the Redbull Flugtag contest in St. Paul on Saturday when I realized that 94 was shut down.  Screw that, I'm going to Northern Brewer!   I'd been contemplating doing a 10 gallon batch ever since I cut the top off my 16 barrel kegs.  Yeah, I don't have any fittings to drain the wort, but I do have a siphon.   I got carboy's empty.  So i went in and bought up a lower gravity beer that will be able to fit into my mash tun.  I went with their Patersbier recipe which is about 5% and 18 lbs of grain.  I figured that it would fit since the last batch I did for 5 gallons had 23 lbs of grain and there was some space at the top of the mash tun.

This is actually a really cool beer, very simple and easy drinking, yet very complex flavors mostly from the yeast.   This is apparently something that the Belgian monks would have brewed for themselves as an every day drinker type beer.   100% Belgian Pilsner malt, Tradition hops for bittering at 30 ibu's, Saaz at 10 minutes and then pitch with Belgian yeast and ferment high for optimum yeastiness!  The yeast is the key in this bad boy. 

I just finished reading the book "Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition" by Phil Markowski, and in the book they talked about a typical infusion mash for Saisons that is common to this very day amongst Belgian brewers.  Also,  Dupont has a beer that they use 100% Belgian Pilsner malt just like this recipe here.  So, I ended up doing an infusion step mash.   It went pretty well mostly because I dominate!

Grain
18 lbs. Belgian Pilsner Malt

Hops 
First Wort Hops 2 oz Tradition
10 Minutes - 1 oz Czech Saaz

Yeast 
Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity
Pitched at 75 degrees.  Keeped at 67 degrees for 2 days, and then I brought it up to 70 degrees for 2 days, and then 75-80 to finish off fermentation and stress the yeast for maximum flavor.  Hopefully the steps up in temp will lower the banana esters.   I'm thinking about splitting this one 4 ways.  2.5 gallons with 3 lbs of local North Star tart cherries, 2.5 gallons dry hopped with a bunch of old-ish Slovenian Celeia  hops, 2.5 gallons with 1-2 lbs honey, and 2.5 gallons normal!

ABV 5.1%
IBU 29

Traditional Saison Mash Schedule

Protein Rest at 115 degrees for 30 minutes
Peptidase rest at 136 degrees for 25 minutes
Saccrification Rest at 145 for 30 minutes
Dextrine rest at 156 for 15 minutes
Mashed out and got about 7 gallons
Sparged at 167 for 30 minutes and got a total of 14 gallons.

I boiled for a whoopping 2 hours!  I'm thinking it may be a little bit more bitter then planned since I did the First Wort Hop method.  That's fine with me!

After 2 hours of boiling I got 9.5 gallons at 1.048!  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...