5.07.2012

Rustic Wild Saison | 11 Gallons split 3 ways (ECY20, ECY02, 100%Brett)

“Our individuality is all, all, that we have. There are those who barter it for security, those who repress it for what they believe is the betterment of the whole society, but blessed in the twinkle of the morning star is the one who nurtures it and rides it in, in grace and love and wit, from peculiar station to peculiar station along life's bittersweet route.”
Tom Robbins,Jitterbug Perfume

I must preface this by stating that Jitterbug Perfume is one of my favorite books.   It's a book that I find so interesting that I've read it three times, underlined passages, dog-eared pages, and even busted out my highlighter. 

Tom Robbins has a very unique way of using metaphors that make you think "How did he just do that?"  This book has interesting themes; paganism, immortality, transcendence, beets, the making of perfume, travel, history, food, culture, social class, sexuality, and individuality!

I also must say that Saison's are my favorite style of beer.  Not only is each Saison a unique individual, but when brewing and designing them it allows me to express my own individuality as a brewer and an artist.   Each new Saison I do is an expression somehow of myself.   One time I asked my Uncle what I should brew next...what he said had a profound affect on my brewing path..."Don't brew anything for me, I always like to see what you're going to brew next."  He wanted me to continue to express my own individuality through my brewing.    He didn't ask me to brew a DIPA for him (although I know he wanted me too)......he liked taking the journey along with me as I decide what I'd like to brew as if he each beer I brew was like peering into my soul.
  
I decided this weekend to do a Kitchen Sink style Rustic Saison.  You really find out who you are when you look at all of your left-overs, your extras, the things you save,  and those things that you buy extra off because you want to use them over and over again! This recipe is all of those things.



For me, a Saison must have pronounced yeast character and finish dry.   That's about all that defines the style to me.   I for one have become a huge fan of the funky Barrel aged Saison's as I feel that they are the most authentic true to style Saison that may have existed 200 years ago.  I decided to split my Kitchen sink Saison into three different beers to try and replicate the barrel aging process.

 
Batch size: 11.0 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.004 ?       
Color: 6° SRM  (Yellow to Gold)
Mash Efficiency: 70%
Bitterness 10.1 IBU

malt & fermentables

%
LB
OZ
Malt or Fermentable
ppg
°L
36% 7 0 Belgian Pilsner Malt 34 2
26% 5 0 Rahr Pilsner Malt 34 2
15% 3 0 American Vienna 33 4
8% 1 8 Spelt 34 5
8% 1 8 Belgian Biscuit Malt 35 24
8% 1 8 American White Wheat 39 2

19 8



hops

use
time
oz
variety
form
aa
first wort 90+ mins 0.25 Sterling pellet 6.3
boil 10 mins 1.0 Kent Golding pellet 4.5
boil 5 mins 1.0 Sterling pellet 6.3
boil 1 min 1.0 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7

Traditional Saison Mash Schedule

Protein Rest at 112 degrees for 20 minutes
Peptidase rest at 136 degrees for 25 minutes
Saccrification Rest at 145 for 30 minutes
Dextrine rest at 153 for 15 minutes

Sparged at 172 for 10 minutes and got a total of 14-15 gallons.



Pan the Goat God- 5 gallons ECY20-Bug County and NB Neobrittania 



  




 Bandaloop Gypsy - 5 gallons ECY02-Flemish Blend 



 





The Nymph- 1 gallon Crooked Stave WWBY dregs






5.18.12 - Added 1/8 ounce Medium Toast French Cubes to both ECY20 and ECY02 versions.

2 comments:

  1. Jitterbug Perfume is an amazing book. I too have read it many times, but unfortunately I'm not a big fan of beets so my time on this Earth is limited. Thusly, I brew with the fervor required of a mortal.

    There's been some conversation online about the amount of spelt to use in a recipe like this. I've never used spelt before. What sort of flavor profile does it impart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spelt is a relative of Wheat and I don't find too much difference between it's flavor or wheat's flavor. I've only used Spelt in one other Saison before and my general thought is that it brings a Wheat-like mouthfeel.

    The only spelt I can find is at Whole foods and is of the flaked variety. My guess is that some people can find spelt berries that may act more like unmalted wheat.

    I mainly use it so I can add the 'rustic' to the title of the beer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...