6.17.2011

Smash Hopburst Simcoe Vienna IPA


As a gift to myself for Fathers Day, I decided that I wanted to do some brewing.  I'd also like to make it down to the Stone Arch Art Festival in Nordeast as well.   I haven't done much brewing since my boy was born almost 9 months ago now.  Over the last three months since that last time I brewed I've been contemplating brewing a thousand different beers.   There are so many things I want to try brewing.  Mainly simple experiments...or styles...or variations on styles that I want to do.   Today at Midwest Brew Supply I bought up a whole bunch of yeast.  Belgain Ardennes for an upcoming Belgian triple/Dipa, some American Ale II, and also a cool find, American Farmhouse Ale blend (Lost Abbey's blend of Saison and Brett yeast!)   In addition the new yeast I have, I also have a bunch of Organic 2-row to use up, some Crystal, Oats, Carapils, and some other random grains.   Looks like it's time for a kitchen sink dipa as well! Oh yeah, I forgot about the pound of Simcoe and the pound of Amarillo plus a couple extra ounces of simcoe and citra!   Wowzers.   I think this weekend is going to be a crazy weekend of brewing.   

To start things off though I decided that I need a sessionable IPA for the summer.   I combine two concepts that I've wanted to do for quite some time.  Smash (single malt and single hop) and Hopburst (adding all hops with only 20 minutes left in the boil).   I'm also mashing this one really high to give it more body since it only has one malt.   I think it's gonna turn out amazing because I'm using Vienna Malt, and Simcoe hops! 

Simcoe Vienna SMaSH Hopburst

5.0 gallons

malt & fermentables

%
LB
OZ
Malt or Fermentable
ppg
°L
100%
9
0
Vienna Malt
36
 3



OG/ FG
1.043 / 1.016
Alcohol by Volume
3.6%
Color
5° SRM / 9° EBC
(Yellow to Gold)
Mash Efficiency
70%

hops

use
time
oz
variety
form
aa
boil
20mins
 1.0
Simcoe
leaf
13.0
boil
15mins
1.0
Simcoe
leaf
13.0
boil
10mins
1.0
Simcoe
leaf
13.0
boil
5 mins
1.0
Simcoe
leaf
13.0
boil
1 min
1.0
Simcoe
leaf
13.0
dryhop
10days
3.0
Simcoe
leaf
13.0
Bitterness
55.3 IBU / 39 HBU

***I'm also going to be adding an ounce while chilling just above the 170 degree mark and hold it for 5 minutes at that temp to really get some simcoe goodness.


Weighing out the whole leaf hops and now my hands smell like straight up dank!


7.28.11 - Sampled out of the keg.  Aroma is fantastic with Simcoe hops dominating.  Start of the sip has a weird soapy flavor to it.  Middle of the sip is great, little bit of malt, bread, fruity hops, and of the sip is a little grassy, mouthwatering.  Bitterness on the lower end probably 40 ibu's.  Definitely not 55.  It's very fresh and green.  Not sure if the soapyness comes from the Simcoe hops, or if my tap line had a little Star-San residue left in it.  Not lovin it at this point.  I'll let it sit for a week before I sample again and see how it changes.
7.30.11 -  Sampled again after pouring a full glass down the drain just in case there was some sanitizer in the line still.  It tastes fantastic.  No off flavors to speak off other then a little grassy on the finish.  The mouthfeel wasn't as thick as I thought it would be.  It's a very sessionable American Pale Ale.   Since it's only Vienna malt, it's interesting to finally see the complexity a little bit of Caramel Malt can add to a beer as this is fairly one dimensional in the malt department.  Simcoe hops are a great stand alone hop though!
8.10.11 - This tastes like Hop Juice. Mouthfeel is big and thick and juicy from the the high mash temp!  Just how I wanted it.   Probably only 30 IBU's but super juicey, and fruity!  Straight up hops! Malt is nowhere to be found so maybe not the best SMASH experiement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...