9.22.2010

Organic Harvest Brown Ale

I purchased all of the ingredients to brew up my Native Brown Bitter Ale again for this reaping season.  This is the same base recipe I did last year with locally grown Cascades.  This year I didn't get free Cascade hops from the guy in New Hope, but I did get a pound of organic cascade hops from Hippity Hop Farms!  While technically they aren't "certified" organic, this is only because you have to be farming organically for 3 years for certification.  From my talks with Hippity Hops very own Paul P., they should be getting certified after next years harvest!   I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing this time around as Hippity Hops tested the IBU's of their 2010 crop to a result of 6.4% AA!  Cheers to Hippity Hop for doing it right in the Twin Cities!   Not to many changes to the recipe this year, but I'm thinking I'll make it a little more bitter and dank...not too dank though.   I did buy mostly Organic grains to go with my hops.  Breiss has organic 2-row, and also Organic Chocolate at Midwest Brew Supply!   With all of the ingredients I bought for the recipe, it looks like this one will by 89% organic!  I don't think that's enough to be certified organic, but it is in my book!


Organic Native Brown Bitter Ale

malt & fermentables

%
LB
OZ
Malt or Fermentable
ppg
°L
79%
10
0
Breiss Organic Two-row Pale
37
1
8%
1
0
American Crystal 10L
34
10
6%
0
12
Breiss Organic Chocolate
34
127
4%
0
8
Special Roast
33
50
2%
0
4
American Crystal 120
34
120
1%
0
2
Roasted Barley
25
300

12
10



Batch size: 5.5
Original Gravity / Final Gravity
1.045 / 1.005
Color
18° SRM / 36° EBC
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)

hops

use
time
oz
variety
form
aa
FW
60+ mins
2.0
Organic Cascade from Hippity Hop Farms
leaf
6.4
boil
10 mins
1.5
Organic Cascade from Hippity Hop Farms
leaf
6.4
boil
1 min
1.5
Organic Cascade from Hippity Hop Farms
leaf
6.4
DH
7 days
2.0
Organic Cascade from Hippity Hop Farms
leaf
6.4
Bitterness
52.4 IBU

yeast 

Wyeast British Ale II - 1335

Alcohol
5.7% ABV



Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.005
Initial Gravity (Plato): 11.91° P
Final Gravity (Plato): 1.28° P
Real Extract: 3.21° P
Apparent Attenuation: 89.2%
Real Attenuation: 73.1%
Alcohol By Volume (ABV): 5.7%
Alcohol By Weight (ABW): 4.5%
Calories (12 ounces): 155


BREW LOCAL, DRINK LOCAL...GET LOCO!

4 comments:

  1. What kind of yeast are you going to pitch? Looks tasty as hell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with the Wyeast British Ale II - 1335

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, this was fantastic, Thanks for bringing that over Saturday night!

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Todd,

    Really glad you liked it! Like you said, it's a smooth Brown ale! I try to brew that brown ale every fall with locally grown hops! This years turned out very balanced!

    Cheers!

    Now you just gotta buy a brewing kit and start making your own beer! Or...just drink mine. I got way too much.

    Good to see ya again man.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...