1.31.2011

Snow Beer (v.2011), Abominable Snow Pilz' slightly bigger and hoppier cousin

 

Here we go again.  So, this year in Minnesnota we've had a bit of the white stuff falling down.   Tonight I'm gonna go home after work and start collecting snow for my annual freak of a beer, Abominable Snow Pilz!  I wasn't sure if I'd get er done this year, but my wife encouraged me to do it again, and anytime the little lady encourages brewing is a good day!   This is still the only beer that I've brewed that my mother has liked.  Not only did my mom like this, it was liked by all. This year I'm lookin to make it a little bigger, and a little hoppier...which unfortunately, my mom probably won't like.  Sorry Barb.


I'm looking at doing a decoction mash this year, but I'm gonna try a little different decoction schedule then the Mai Bock I did during tSnownami, (why didn't I use snow then?!?)   

Here's the new recipe.  Brew day shall be, as soon as I can get 10-12 gallons of water out of locally harvested snow from my front yard!   I'll be using that snow (water) as my brewing water for mash/sparge!  Probably this weekend!




malt & fermentables


%
LB
OZ
Malt or Fermentable
ppg
°L
92%
11
0
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner  
37
2
4%
0
8
American Crystal 10L  
34
10
4%
0
8
Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt  
33
2

12
0



Original Gravity
1.062
Final Gravity
1.011
Color
5° SRM / 10° EBC
(Yellow to Gold)

hops

use
time
oz
variety
form
aa






first wort
60+ mins
1.0
Saaz
pellet
4.9
boil
30 mins
1.5
Saaz
pellet
4.9
boil
10 mins
1.0
Saaz
pellet
4.9
boil
1 min
1.0
Saaz
pellet
4.9
Bitterness
36.7 IBU

***I also added 0.5 oz at 20 minutes.

yeast


Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2124)x 3
lager yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation
Alcohol
7.0% ABV


Brew day notes 2.5.11
I did a double decoction:
  • infuse 6 gal  to get first step of 148F for 60 minutes 
  • with 30 minutes left, pull 2 gallons for decoction 1 of thick mash, heat decoction 1 to 158F, let it rest for 10 minutes, then heat to a boil for remaining 15 minutes of Mash rest.
  • return decoction 1 slowly to main mash, until you get to 158F in main mash. Any remainder should be cooled to 158 then added in but I ended up getting it perfect with the full decoction.
  • Immediately pull 2 1/2 gallons for decoction 2 and bring it to boil during this 30 minute 158F mash rest. 
  • Returned decoction 2 to main mash, to reach 170F.
I ended up with 4 gallons so I sparged another 2 1/2 gallons tap water.


6 gallons MN snow water
+ 2 1/2 gallons Minneapolis tap water

 ***It should have a very nice smooth mouthfeel, and my process was not that much different then last year.  I used about the same amount of Snow-to-tap water.    Last year I did an infusion mash with a protein step.  This year I skipped the protein step and did a decoction mash with saccrification steps. 

I'll ferment this in primary for 2 weeks or so at 48 degrees.  Then I'll take it up to 70 degrees for a diacetyl rest which is pretty essential with the Bohemian Pilsner yeast.  Then I'll transfer to secondary and lager it at 35 degrees for a month or two.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...